Dipartimento di Ingegneria e Architettura, Parco Area delle Scienze, 181A
43124 Parma, ITALY
|phone:||+39 0521 905702|
|+39 0521 905792|
Riccardo Monica is a post-doc at the Department of Engineering and Architecture of the University of Parma. He received a Ph.D. in Information Technologies, in 2018, and a Master degree (Laurea Magistrale) in computer engineering, in 2014, both from the University of Parma. In 2016, he was a visiting PhD student at the Vision for Robotics Laboratory, Vienna University of Technology (Austria). His main research interests lie in 3D reconstruction and robot perception of 3D environments.
R. Monica, J. Aleotti, Surfel-based Next Best View Planning, IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, Volume 3, Issue 4, Oct. 2018
R. Monica, J. Aleotti, Contour-based next-best view planning from point cloud segmentation of unknown objects, Autonomous Robots, Volume 42, Issue 2, February 2018, Pages 443-458
R. Monica, J. Aleotti, S. Caselli, A KinFu based approach for robot spatial attention and view planning, Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Volume 75, Part B, January 2016, Pages 627-640
Conference and Workshop Proceedings:
R. Monica, J. Aleotti, A 3D Robot Self Filter for Next Best View Planning, The Third IEEE International Conference on Robotic Computing (IRC 2019), February 25-27, 2019 Naples, Italy [Video1] [Video2] [Code]
R. Monica, J. Aleotti, M. Zillich, M. Vincze, Multi-Label Point Cloud Annotation by Selection of Sparse Control Points, International Conference on 3D Vision (3DV), Qingdao, China, October 10th-12th 2017 [code]
R. Monica, M. Zillich, M. Vincze, J. Aleotti, RGB-D Fusion Enhancement by Mode Filter for Surfel Cloud Segmentation, IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), September 24-28, 2017, Vancouver, BC, Canada
R. Monica, A. Zinelli, J. Aleotti, GMM-based Spatial Change Detection from Bimanual Tracking and Point Cloud Differences, Third Italian Workshop on Artificial Intelligence and Robotics (AIRO), Genoa, Italy, November 28, 2016.
R. Monica, J. Aleotti, S. Caselli, GMM-Based Detection of Human Hand Actions for Robot Spatial Attention, The 17th International Conference on Advanced Robotics (ICAR), Istanbul, Turkey, July 27-31, 2015.
J. Aleotti, D. Lodi Rizzini, R. Monica, S. Caselli, Global Registration of Mid-Range 3D Observations and Short Range Next Best Views, 2014 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), Chicago, Illinois, USA, September 14-18, 2014. [Video]
R. Monica, Advances in Robot Attention for Next-Best View Planning, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Parma, 2018. [Download]
R. Monica, Automatic 3D scene reconstruction and update based on KinectFusion and active robot exploration, Master Thesis, University of Parma, 2014.
Some open-source software can be found at his GitHub repository:
- basic_next_best_view: A ROS node for a simple next best view algorithm.
- gaussian_mixture_model: A ROS node to execute the EM algorithm on arbitrary data and obtain a Gaussian Mixture Model.
- ros_kinfu: PCL KinFu Large Scale wrapper for ROS.
- Kinect2 shadow removal: Fork of libfreenect2 with shadow removal filter, for OpenCL pipeline.
- rviz_cloud_annotation: Point cloud annotation tool, based on RViz.
- surfel_next_best_view: ROS node for view pose evaluation in a surfel cloud.
- elastic_bridge: ROS wrapper for ElasticFusion.
- surfel_cloud_rviz_plugin: ROS RViz plugin to display surfel clouds.
- surfels_unknown_space: Surfel-based 3D reconstruction of known volume.
- surfels_unknown_space_dataset: scan sequences acquired with Kinect v1, and corresponding ElasticFusion output. This dataset may be used to test the surfels_unknown_space package. [Readme] [Scenario 1] [Scenario 2]
- hand-polhemus-dataset: A dataset of hand trajectories acquired using the FasTrak Polhemus sensor.